Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Halloween or Christmas?

Hello from The Perch. After a couple of days of cold and rain, we are back to blue skies and temps in the 70's. Fine with me, although the rain was welcome as we had grass seeds and some new bushes planted recently and they needed the water.

The air is crisp and the shadows long. Fall has arrived. Or is it Christmas? You can't really tell the difference when you are in the stores, as they seem to run all the decorations at once. Does anyone have a problem with that besides me? Christmas decorations next to Halloween costumes? They seem to skip over Thanksgiving altogether. Never mind trying to find any Christmas stuff at all after December 1st, when they start to bring in the Valentine's Day material. I guess I am just as bad though; I haven't quite finished the Halloween decorating and am contemplating finishing the Christmas cards that I started two years ago and never finished. In any case, here is what I've been up to this week:

Prettying up the porch with pumpkins, mums and dahlias, which I will plant in the garden at season's end for years of enjoyment (the mums and dahlias, that is, not the pumpkins! Though we did have pumpkin vines in the compost pile last year.)...


I couldn't resist the shadows this morning.





Though orange is not my favorite color, I couldn't resist these
beautiful dahlias, already in nice pots and cheaper than the mums
at Walmart. Their future is in the garden.

...and working on Christmas cards...





Incidentally, this card was published in the Summer 2011 issue of Somerset Gallery. All I used for it was black and beige card stock, old wrapping paper (purchased for 90% off at Target a few years ago after Christmas when they were bringing out the next holiday attraction), vintage music, a Paper Whimsy image, pink velvet ribbon, a star stamp, glitter for the star, and silver paper clips. The inside says: "May the Star of Christmas light your path now and throughout the coming year." I WILL finish these this year! If not, I guess I can always use the "on sale" cards bought after the holidays last year!!!

Well, enjoy the rest of your weekend, and stay safe.

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!