Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Farmhousing" the Kitchen

Hello friends! The other day my husband and I decided to hunt some antiques to put on top of the cabinets in our kitchen. Honestly, I am not one for the cluttered look, so I wanted to find just a few things to create some visual interest. I do love the contemporary farmhouse look, and though I would like to say that we lived in a farmhouse built in 1907, in actuality, we live in a house that was built in 2007. It does have wrap-around porch and a farmhouse look though. I guess it is the best of both worlds as we do not have to do much "fixing up".

Anyway, we went to one of my favorite local haunts, and managed to come back with more than I thought we would find. My goal when we set out was to find a vintage scale, and not only was there one, but there were three!! Of course the one that was the scale of my dreams did not work, but it was the oldest and not very expensive. Who will use it anyway when you have to use a ladder to reach it? Plus, it had a marvelous face whose patina was created by its obvious years of use. I guess that if I want to weigh potatoes I can find a new scale for that, and keep it hidden when not in use.

We also managed to find an antique sifter from the 20's, an old aluminum rolling pin still in its original box (!!), old enamel doorknobs, an old tea kettle that was likely once copper, but now has a beautiful verdigris patina, an old white-painted wire basket with some old black paint showing through, and an old cookbook. They all now happily sit atop our cabinets. Below are some pictures of our finds. Oh, I also found a couple of peely-paint drawer pulls that will be used in a "future art project".






Do pictures speak louder than words? I think so. Have a beautiful vintage day, and thanks for coming over!

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!