Sunday, July 3, 2016

Patriotic Fabric Collage: "God Bless the USA"

Hello, and I hope that you're having a great Fourth of July Weekend.

This holiday inspired me to use a couple of my recently acquired patriotic photos in some fabric art. I actually made two yesterday, and here is one of them.

This is a rather tall piece.
The collage was done on a piece of a 
cutter quilt that I have had for a while.
I only wish I could have seen what the original
quilt must have looked like.
My piece is a very irregular shape
and it was from the 1860s or so.
Since it was shaped like a house,
I made believe that it was...

I used some vintage lace and buttons,
and the words were stamped with
a stamp from the Stampabilities line.
It included a lot of patriotic phrases,
so I stamped the whole thing on muslin, 
using old Archival ink in coffee,
and just used the phrase that you see here...

The photo was a beautiful old RPPC
printed onto fabric.
I couldn't resist these sweet little girls,
with the toddler holding the flag.
Don't you just love the flag that also 
appears behind them?...


You can see in the next photo how 
old and faded  the indigo fabrics are. 
I particularly love the indigo with the 
stars on it that I placed behind the girls.
And what must have once been red
has faded to a dusty pink...

Because the top section of the quilt piece
looks like the roof of the house,
I couldn't resist incorporating a vintage
piece of salvage, which I think must
have once held a doorknob.
Inside of it I placed a BoBunny brad
that I bought a few years ago...


It is about 7 inches wide, by 18 inches long,
not counting the jute that it hangs from.

It felt good to be able to make some time for creating again!
As ever, thanks for coming by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!