Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Victorian Mourning Dress Fragments

Friends, by now you must certainly think that I am fixated on Victorian mourning. I assure you that is not the case, and this will likely be almost my last post on this subject, at least for a while!

I just wanted to share with you some lovely finds that I will be incorporating into some fabric collage at some point.

This first one is a small piece of antique Victorian
velvet trim, or fabric, measuring about
7 by 9 inches at its widest points.
It may or may not have been used on
a mourning dress, 
but I can only imagine the beautiful dress
that it once was a part of...


There is only one motif on this piece,
but that's enough to let my imagination
run away with me...


The best part is that it incorporates
several tiny black jet beads and sequins
(see my last post),
 which have been
embroidered onto the satin flowers,
leaves and stems...


All the embroidery was completed by hand,
as you can see in the photo of the reverse.
Dressmakers of that time period
were really extraordinary,
weren't they?...


The other piece is a triangular shaped
fragment that is about 22 inches long
at the longest section.
It is an antique silk embroidered piece, 
also from the Victorian era...


The embroidered portions have faded to a brownish color,
which I think lends to the overall charm.


The lace portion is stunning...


...and I can only wonder what the dress
that it embellished, or was part of,
looked like...


I actually have a plan for these two pieces,
and some of the others that I have recently purchased,
but that may have to remain a secret for a while!

Thanks for coming by!


5 comments:

  1. Such kinds of secrets are lovely Sue, and your old fabric treasures are so very lovely, and beautiful, too.
    Congratulations in finding them, and happy creating, dear xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Dorthe! I hope that you are finding more time to create beautiful things than I have had lately! Hugs, Sue

      Delete
  2. Oooo Sue this is gorgeous!! Can't wait to see what you will do~
    All of it (the lace, the jet beads...) are quite exquisite. Lovely treasure friend. ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I think that maybe I'm getting a little carried away. Oops. No surprise there! Thanks for visiting, and have a great weekend! XO

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!