Monday, February 4, 2013

Beautiful art studios, and then there's mine...

Hello friends! Here I sit in my very untidy studio still trying to work on my dad's book, with stuff flying everywhere. Yesterday I took a break and went to Michael's (sorry, but football is not my thing) to pick up a few things for the book, and then ran into the bookstore at the Mall to pick up the newest issue of Somerset Studio's "Where Women Create". This is one of my favorite publications from Somerset. I love to see what women create, and where they do their work.

If the truth be told, my studio space is almost 700 square feet. It is one of two bedrooms upstairs. My husband and I have only been married a few years, and when we met, we each owned our own houses. The first time he brought me here for a visit, he took me upstairs to what was then empty space. He brought me to the rear bedroom, very large and empty with two nice windows, and without even thinking I blurted out "Wow, this would make an awesome art room". OOPS! A few short months later, when we had decided to get married and were deciding which house we would live in and which we would sell, he said "Well, if we decide to live in my house you can have that upstairs room as your art room". Who could resist that bribe? No contest, as I liked this house and neighborhood better anyway!

Since we merged households, we had to decide what furniture would stay, and what would go. So, my guest bedroom "stuff", shabby pink and white, went into the art room, and my master bedroom furniture went into the other room up there.

What struck me funny was that in looking at the photos in the book, I realized that I am not so different from some of the ladies featured, and have in my studio some of the same things that they have in theirs. Here are a few photos from the magazine, as well as some of the similar pieces that I own. Of course, my studio is never as tidy as theirs!

The magazine cover...


A pretty hutch in this gal's studio...


My hutch, which used to be my pine
dining room cabinet in a former life
(pardon the missing knobs)...


Top of the hutch, where I store ribbons and
other trims, etc...


This gal has a pretty old mannequin...


And so do I. I use it to store
vintage rosary beads...


This artist has a shabby old door...


And here is mine (my hubby thought I
had lost it when I said I wanted to buy
it)...



This lady has an iron bed in her studio
(pardon this bad scan, which I fogot
to crop)...


As do I...


And here are some other pics from this magazine...




Well, just something to share with you!


3 comments:

  1. I think you need to be in this magazine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly...you wouldn't say that if you saw the mess lately! ;~)

      Delete
    2. and you know all those women had a big tidy up before the cameras arrived!! lol!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!