Sunday, December 30, 2012

Inspiration, Part 3...

Greetings from The Perch! I hope that you're enjoying your weekend.

Here is the last part of my "quest for inspiration". Sometimes it helps me to look at some of my old creations and say "I can make more of these". My spirits were lifted this morning when Glenda from Recycled Relatives (see my post of a few days ago on tintypes) emailed me and asked me if I sell any of my work. I have not sold any so far mainly because I don't think that anything that I create is all that special, and even most of my family members don't "get" my art (if you want to call it art). But she loves old photos (obviously!) as much as I do and she was happy when in a previous email I mentioned that I use only copies of these photos in my art. We both share the same feeling that when these beauties are gone, they are gone, and there are no more. If a picture that has survived for more than 100 years is going to die, it will not be at my hand, even for the sake of art. I do believe that artists have the right to their own special brand of creativity, but I personally can't see ruining an original old photo for the sake of putting a witch's hat on it, or giving it a mustache. Even if the photo is not in great shape to begin with. Enough of my humble and worthless opinions!

The photos below were taken of some pieces that I had sent to Sew Somerset, and were published in the Summer, 2011 issue along with an article that they asked me to write about them. Since I did not have a blog back then, I will share them now. They were done in a set, and about 8" by 10" each.






And here are some scans of the article as it appeared. (I can't tell if the scans will view very well.)





I actually submitted these as theme pieces to Somerset Studio, and they later asked me if they could put them in Sew Somerset instead, along with the article, so of course I said "yes". 

Thank you again for spending some time with me. Have a great day!

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I think you're worthy... to sell your art that is. I know how you feel though. I never have enough confidence in myself to feel I too am worthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb! I thank you for you compliment! Have a happy and healthy New Year! Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!