Saturday, February 11, 2017

Goat Cart Summers

Happy Saturday! I hope that your weekend has gotten off to a great start.

You have all seen vintage photos of little kids in coat carts, taken during the early part of the 20th century. The roving photographers of the time used their goats and carts as a gimmick to have parents pay for photos to be taken of their children, similar to the same way that the photographers brought along ponies. For a while I have collected these little goat cart photos.

Some time ago I did a post about a project that I was getting ready to start. The original post is here if you missed it. I didn't say too much about what I was making because I actually submitted it to Somerset Studio for publication in their January, 2017 issue, "All About Olive". (I did not use the old quilt piece that I showed in that post.) I got it back the other day as it was not published. You win some! You lose some! Though, I must say that the artwork that was published in that issue was so superior to mine. So I thought I'd share a few photos here.

I created this piece in a shabby kind of manner, along the same lines as a Halloween piece that I shared with you a couple of years ago. It is basically a long fabric roll done on a 5-inch wide length of burlap. I thought the olive and pink colors were suitable for a summer theme.

It is about four feet long, including the hanger.
These photos are pretty bad as I didn't have a suitable place
in the house to take them due to the length of the project
and lighting issues in the house.
Here it is displayed on Miss Grace...


 The hanger is created from sari ribbon,
and the metal piece is an old drawer pull...


...which sits on top of an old doily that has been
folded in half...


Lots of fabrics.
Silk, velvet, and cotton prints,
along with buttons, laces and ribbon.
And a mother-of-pearl buckle and
grosgrain ribbon and a little rick rack...

The photos had been printed onto fabric,
and I hand-sewed them on...


A pink glass button from my stash,
and more hand stitching to hold the scraps of fabric
together.
On this photo and above I used buttons to replicate
wheels on the goat carts...


I used colored scrim in sections,
and at the bottom is a vintage
crocheted hankie...


This piece has special meaning for me,
because while my husband was in the hospital before and after
his surgery in August, I did the hand sewing portion
whenever he rested.

And the best part,
it matches my studio colors of pink and green.
My studio is the only girly room in our home,
and is a hangover from my single days in my townhouse in Florida,
where shabby chic ruled!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!