Friday, January 16, 2015

Sisters


"Sister.
She is your mirror, 
shining back at you
with a world of possibilities.
She is your witness, 
who sees you at your worst and best,
and loves you anyway."
-BARBARA ALPERT

*******************************

Today I decided go through some of my vintage photos, and seeing the sisters on this old cabinet card made me think about how nice it would be to have had a sister. That none if the girls in my immediate family has a sister seems to be a common thread. I have one brother. He happens to live in Washington State, so we rarely see each other. He has a boy and a girl. My mom was an only child. My dad had only one sister. I have only one first cousin and she is an only child. And each of my children has a boy and a girl.

To me, having a sister would be like having a best friend who never goes away. Someone who understands you and is always there no matter what. Someone who puts family first, and petty differences aside. Someone who shares a common bond of home and history. And someone who is always willing to listen and not judge. 

Eva and Eliza live on only in my imagination. I do not know who the pretty girls in this photo were. On the back of the photo someone had written "Mrs. Ed Cunningham", with an address in California, and stated that she was the girl on the right. I don't know when the photo was taken, or the first names of the girls. So I am making these instant ancestors my own and giving them a voice. 

Here's to you, Eva and Eliza. 
I hope that you had lovely lives 
and grew up remaining best friends.  



Below is the original photo.
Feel free to use it, 
or the edited versions above,
in any way you wish.



2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, dear Sue:) Looks like you are having fun editing photos and I love what you are doing. Thanks for the lovely photo.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! It has been fun, and your welcome for the photo. You have a wonderful weekend, too! XO

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post!